How to Hear From God
1. Proverbs 20:27 2. John 10:22-27 3. Ephesians 2:8 4. Romans 10:17
5. Genesis 2:16, 17 6. Genesis 6:12-22 7. Genesis 12:1, 2 8. Genesis 22:10-16
God uses your human spirit to guide you in life. He speaks to those who belong to Him and communicates in specific details. You must believe you hear the voice of God, by faith. Train your spirit by fellowshipping with God, practicing His presence, and obeying Him in the small things He tells you to do.
A. Man is a tri-part being.
1. You are a spirit who possesses a soul and lives in a physical body.
2. Your spirit is what God uses to guide you (Proverbs 20:27).
B. God's sheep hear His voice (John 10:22-27).
1. If you belong to God, you should be able to hear His voice.
2. In order to hear God's voice, you must believe He wants to speak to you and that you can hear Him.
a. Everything in the Kingdom of God operates by faith.
i. You are saved through faith (Ephesians 2:8).
ii. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God preached (Romans 10:17).
C. God spoke to people in the Old Testament with specific details.
1. If God did it once with anybody, He will do it for you.
a. You are supposed to hear God's voice.
2. God spoke to Adam and told Him not to eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:16, 17).
3. God spoke to Noah in specific details (Genesis 6:12-22).
a. He gave Him specific instructions about how to build the ark.
b. Noah was able to hold fast to the Word He heard from God because He knew without a shadow of a doubt God spoke to Him.
c. Knowing you heard from God will keep you grounded when circumstances challenge your faith.
4. Abraham received specific instructions from God.
a. God instructed Abraham to leave his country and family (Genesis 12:1, 2).
b. Abraham was instructed to kill his son, but then God directed him not to sacrifice Isaac (Genesis 22:1-16).
D. You must know how to hear from God if you are to be led into the perfect will of God for your life.
Train your hearing by practicing the presence of God.
1. Spend time talking to God like you would a friend.
2. Pray in the Spirit to sharpen your spiritual hearing.
3. Fellowship with God when you are alone.
a. Meditate God's Word on a regular basis.
b. God's voice will always echo His Word.
E. Obeying God in the little things ensures He can trust you when He speaks to you about bigger things.
1. You become proficient in hearing from God the more you obey Him when He speaks to you.
2. Often people ask three questions when they hear something from God:
a. "Was that me?"
b. "Was that God?"
c. "Was that the devil?"
3. The devil will never tell you to do something to increase the Kingdom of God, i.e., giving money.
4. God will often speak to you to do things that are out of your comfort zone, or don't make sense to your natural mind.
5. Whatever God tells you to do will require faith and trust in Him.
a. You must be faithful where you are so you can move to your next level.
6. God will continue to speak to you when you are obedient.